Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Second Life Physics Scripting - Pinball #8 - Script Management

I was starting to do some more development on the walls and bumpers and started finding that managing the scripts in only four walls and three bumpers was going to be a problem, especially when I was planning on adding a bunch more of each in the next few iterations.

I went back and added a LinkNanny system described in the Tic-Tac-Toe Tutorial on the LSLWiki.

This was a bit of work and it took some tweaking to get it right. I ended up creating a different LinkNanny for the bumpers and a separate one for the walls. This allowed me to have separate sets of scripts for each. I was thinking it might be better to keep all this information in the RootNanny and do the distribution based on the prim name, but it was already setup this way so I'm going to just go with it.

My biggest problem with this is when you want to distribute out the latest scripts with "/1 update" it takes a long time. I've been editing directly on one of the objects until I get it right, then copying the script to the root object and the using "/1 update" to distribute them out. It takes too long to be useful in very small changes and my stuff is always so buggy that it takes a million small changes to get even the simpliest stuff working.

No comments: