Friday, July 11, 2008

Second Life Physics Scripting - Pinball #11 - More Collision Issues

I found another stuck ball on the top wall.



I also noticed that when I moved the glass sideways to get to the ball, the ball moved farther into the wall and was then sticking out about half way. This is even though the ball was not really near the glass since it was about halfway up the wall. Very strange behavior.

I also saw two cases where the ball was stuck on top of one of the bumpers wedged between the glass. I need to make the glass a little lower or the bumpers a little higher. I'll probably opt to make the bumpers higher as there will be problems with the curve where the glass meets not leaving enough room for the ball if I make the glass lower.

I also noticed that the scoreboard stopped functioning. I had to reset the scripts within the scoreboard to get it going again. This might have been cause by a mistaken "take" of the the pinball machine into my inventory then an extraction back out. It was stuck on the number from around that time and I didn't really check to see if it was still working. I'll keep an eye on this one.

I ran some tests on larger balls and smaller push vectors, but then the balls did not move well at all. I think I'm making a mistake and not taking the mass of the ball into account when pushing it away from the walls and bumpers. Need to look into that as well.


Made some good progress on the keyboard code and need to write up a post for that as well.

Fun.

No comments: