Thursday, July 10, 2008

Second Life Physics Scripting - Pinball #10 - Collision Tweaking

I just checked in to see where the counter is and to make sure the system was still running. Nothing works better than time to test out a piece of code.

Problem, but I don't think it's a big one or one that can't be fixed fairly easily.



As you can see the ball is embedded into the wall of the top curve. The top curve is a hollow cylinder cut in half. But there is good news too.


The counter reached 31871 before there was a problem. I think I'll have to do two things to fix this. Slow the ball down a little bit more, remeber I said I had it a little larger than the ball size itself and that's probably why it was able to get inside the cylinder wall. To keep things simple, I might want to change the top wall to a flat surface anyway and make it look more curved with the final art.

There was one other observed problem. I left the test code in the scoreboard and the individual texture numbers so if someone clicks on them they increment. Just need to remove that test code.

I'm not sure if I've shown it with all the added bumpers yet? There were a bunch of small problems that were fixed. When I copied the bumpers a bunch of them were not working. I did a bunch of little tests and nothing seemed to work, then I noticed they were not running. I started to edit the scripts individually and turn them on, but then just selected them all and then selected 'Tools/Set Scripts to Running In Selection'. That was a pretty easy fix.

Also, the glass on top was a little too high/low at the curve and it was keeping the ball from getting into the upper sections. I moved them until they were properly aligned. It's all about using the alt and alt/ctrl keys to get a bunch of different perspectives when trying to position stuff.

When I was fixing the bumpers and had the glass off the top, the ball did leap off the table and I had to go searching for it way off in the distance. When I found it I just took it into my inventory, then I think I brought back out the wrong one since it had a really low minimum speed. When I showed it to someone the ball got to going way too slow so I edited it and increased the minimum.

Lots of tweaking.

Next I think I need to start working on the interactivity. I'm going to do some looking at mouse look and figure out how people take over the keyboard, then I'll be ready to add a bunch of interactive buttons attached to keys. At first I think it will just be a couple of flippers, but then I may go a little crazy with it.

No comments: