Monday, January 26, 2015

Surface Pro 3 and Visual Studio network conflict

I've recently been using a surface pro 3 for my development.  I love it as it works great on planes and when I travel.  I had been having one issue with the network on sleep, it never returned and I had to continually reset it.  I also found that sleep had been replaced by hibernate and it took 20 seconds to come back to life every time I left it alone for a few minutes.  It turned out that Visual Studio 2013 installs Hyper-V.

This was a great explanation of the problem.
http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/surface-pro-3-tip-hyper-v-vs-connected-standby

I don't plan on using Hyper-V so I can turn it off. Basically I just ran a command prompt as administrator and used this command.
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

as this blog is mostly for my own note taking purposes, I'm going to return here if I need to run it again or I need to turn it back on

Here is how I'm going to turn it back on.
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

No comments: